Inspirations and ideas seen around the world.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

NYC Lower East Side - street art as advertisement

Since I've moved to this neighborhood I've been noticing the street art more often.

These visually strong and massive works dominate a section of Ludlow just above Delancey.
These again stand on the edge of advertising. Around the corner, in a small gallery the artists work is sold - on t-shirts, hoodies, giant posters, and commissions can be requested. It is graphically strong work - and the artist does deserve recognition - but I found I looked at the work with a cooler eye after finding the gallery.

Fame Game isn't advertising - but it is in the same area. It's one of a few pieces of multimedia grafitti I've seen. A carefully cut palette spells out "Fame Game" and the collage and grafitti on the wall behind speaks to many images of commentary on fame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home